Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Best.Directions.Ever

I'm navigating the Columbus circle station mess when I finally find the downtown 1 platform.

There's a group of European travelers scanning a subway map. Realizing they have no idea what they're doing they stop a guy in a business suit and ask in a thick accent -

"How do we get to Kennedy airport?"

The guy obviously recognized their accent and broke out into their language. They had a quick conversation in a tongue I didn't understand.

Toward the end of the conversation I caught one word in English - "Taxi" as he pointed to the staircase leading out and handed them a few $20s as he said his goodbye, obviously intending that they not spend their last few hours in NYC in the subway. They happily accepted and booked out of there.

1 comment:

  1. Love your idea about tales form the tunnel: Here's one of mine: I was standing on the subway platform at 86th and Lex where two tourists complete with guide books were waiting for the train. "Excuse me, sir," they said in broken English. "Do you know the train schedule?"

    The question confused me. Most New Yorkers don't plan their subway trip against an actual train schedule.

    Then I said, "There is no schedule. The train just comes!"

    The two tourists turned aside and buried their faces back into their maps. Obviously, they had posed their question to the wrong person! A train that had no schedule? Impossible!

    Maybe, but not here in New York.

    ReplyDelete