Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reflections

Years (longer really) ago - the day I graduated from high school I got on a downtown train to meet some friends in Times Square to do what 18 year olds do.

As I entered the car some of the people already there made some faces at me and stepped off the car and left me alone in there.  

Being 18 and dumb I decided to carve my initial in the subway car on the flat part near the window - JR.  The train actually got delayed so I had plenty of time to do the job right.

I ended up going to community college, college, and eventually grad school and got a high paying job at a finance company in Manhattan...back home and hoodlum no more.

Late one night I got on the train to come home from visiting my parents.  The train was pretty crowded but I managed a seat, put on my headphones and opened a proposal I needed to present the next day.  We had gone a few stops when I ruckus on the other side of the train distracted me.  

As I looked back at the proposal down I happened to see my initials carved into the train.  I thought it was just a fluke.  Took me a few minutes of looking back to realize it was actually my handiwork from so many years ago.  

Needless to say the rest of the trip was wasted as far as work was concerned.  Spent the rest of the trip thinking about everything that had happened over the past years in that very spot since I had been there last.

--Submitted by JR

No comments:

Post a Comment